Outstanding Young Scholar Recruitment Initiative
Since its founding in 1994, the Qiu Shi Science and Technology Foundation has been dedicated to recognize and foster outstanding talents in science and technology. Through the original Qiu Shi Outstanding Young Scholars Award (1995-2001), our foundation had succeeded in supporting a strong cohort of young scholars to mature into established and accomplished scientists.
As our nation enters a new phase of talent development and harvesting, the Foundation advisory board has sanctioned the launch of a new Qiu Shi Outstanding Young Scholars, a recruitment initiative that promotes and supports young scientists as they make the choice to re-establish their research careers back home. We strive to facilitate the recruitment of the most promising and exceptionally talented young scholars back to the top Chinese universities, and to maintain and increase a diverse pool of leaders in various disciplines of science and technology.
The new Award is targeted at young Haigui scholars who have shown exceptional promise in both natural and applied sciences. An award of USD 50,000 per year will be provided to the sponsoring home institution for use by award recipient over a 3 year start-up period, supplementing his/her recruitment package. Multidisciplinary, novel and innovative approaches to research and risk-taking is encouraged.
As a pilot program, seven distinguished Chinese universities, namely, Tsinghua University, Peking University, Zhejiang University, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Fudan University, University of Science and Technology of China, and Peking Union Medical College, had been invited to nominate candidates for the Award. Candidates will be considered by Foundation members, selected members of the QS Family BrainTrust, and overseas referees from relevant disciplines in a confidential and unbiased impartial manner. Award recipients will be announced in July 2013, and the first award ceremony will take place in September 2013.
- Yigong SHI: Staying vigilant in times of peace, Attaining our dream of strengthening China
- PEI Gang: How the University Makes Society More Beautiful
- ZHANG Jie: A Generation that Carried the Torch and Forged Ahead into the Future
- A college student’s letter to our Foundation
- ZHAO Zhongxian: desiring to make greater contributions to the progress of civilization
- Interview with Chen Ning YANG II
- Interview with Chen Ning YANG I : Selecting your area of research
- “One of a Hundred Thousand”: ZHOU Guangzhao -The Story of a Scientific Hero
- Andrew YAO: Scientists and the path of science
- WU Wen-tsun: “‘Follow the leader’ isn’t a game for academia”